VITA Volunteer Training
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance in Cameron and Willacy Counties, Texas
For more information contact email@example.com, call (956) 548- 6880 or follow us on Facebook @vitascc.
• Apply to participate in the VITA
• Attend a virtual VITA orientation
(optional) on Tuesday, Nov. 16,
5:30pm-7pm via Zoom.
• Read the VITA Certification Plan.
• Visit the IRS’ online training platform
called Link and Learn Taxes (LLT) at
• Visit the online Basic Certification video
curriculum at VITA-Train.
• The IRS provides volunteers with a print
copy of PUB 4012 VITA Resource
Guide and PUB 6744 VITA Test/Retest.
These will be available for pick up at the
United Way office mid-November.
Step 1- Study
• Volunteer Tax Preparers study 3 topics for testing:
VITA Tax Law, Volunteer Standards of Conduct and
Intake/ Interview & Quality Review. You choose the
level of tax law to which you will certify (Basic or
Curriculum options are:
Step 2- Practice
• Read the IRS Fact Sheet: Practice Lab. This was
published in 2018, but the information is still
• Create your user account for Practice Lab.
Before you create an account or log in you
will need a generic password: TRAINPROWEB.
• Prepare scenario-based tax return problems
using software at Practice Lab. You may work
practice returns concurrently with studying tax
law. Practice problems for both Basic and
Advanced are found at VITA-Train in the Practice
Returns section and the Practice Lab home page,
• Refer to PUB 4012: VITA Volunteer Resource
Guide to help you while preparing tax return
problems. It is full of decision trees, charts and
step-by-step guides for all parts of the tax
return process. Please become familiar with
• Attend virtual study groups (optional) to ask
questions and work a practice return together.
Step 3- Test
• Create a user account for LLT Test Site by following
the instructions in the Certification Testing: Getting
Started Tutorial. This is not the same account as
• Read IRS Certification Question & Answers Fact Sheet.
Tip: Before testing refer to PUB 6744 VITA Test/Retest
and work each test in the book before going to VITA
Central's online test site.
• Test VSOC (Volunteer Standards of Conduct) at LLT
• Test I/I/QR (Intake/Interview and Quality Review) at
• Prepare Basic Test Scenario Problems 6 & 7(or
Advanced Test Scenarios 6-8) found in PUB 6744 VITA
Test/Retest on Practice Lab.
Tip: Refer to PUB 4012 VITA Volunteer Resource
Guide, for help while preparing test tax returns.
• Test Basic (or Advanced) at LLT Test Site online.
• After testing, electronically sign and download F13615
Volunteer Agreement Form following the instructions in
references and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This form must be submitted to United Way before
working with the public.
Step 4- Train
• Attend a January VITA Tax Preparer
Training (virtual or in-person). Please
see the schedule in the Training
Materials section for the date, time and
instructions for your cohort (community
volunteers, TSC students, UTRGV
students, high school students listed
by school). This training is required for all
volunteer tax preparers. Certify in tax law
• Sign up for volunteer service hours (at least
3 hours per week for the first 6 weeks of the
tax season) by sending the VITA
Volunteer Hours Request Form to
Note: UTRGV Income Taxation class students
have unique training and certification
deadlines. Please see Blackboard for further
instructions or contact United Way at
• VITA Volunteer Hours Request
• TSPO Software Training for
• TSPO Software Training for
• Youtube Channel-Practice Problems
Step 5- Public Service
Congratulations! You're ready to volunteer!
There are 20 VITA sites in the Cameron and
Willacy Counties Coalition.
•Submit the Volunteer Hours Form
to United Way to let us know which site
and the hours you can volunteer. United Way
will confirm your site location and hours.
Once you are assigned to a VITA site you
will communicate directly with the Site
Coordinator of that site for further volunteer
•Please show up to the first day of VITA
service at your confirmed site as Site
Coordinators don't always have time to
contact you directly before the first day of
• Refer to the PUB 4012 Resource Guide or your
Site Coordinator every step of the way while
preparing tax returns for clients.
• VITA Volunteer Hours Request Form
• VITA App
• VITA Coalition Schedule
This website has been prepared for training purposes only within Cameron and Willacy counties, Texas, VITA program and is not intended to provide tax or legal advice.